Thursday, August 24, 2006

From Cooum...


...to Cauvery

Was just wondering what I would write for Ganesh Chaturti. Well I had a lovely time recently
walking up the Kailash of the South, as they call it - the Rock Fort Uchi Pillaiyar Temple in Tiruchirapalli.
From the stagnant waters of the Cooum in Chennai, I travelled by the banks of the gurgling waters of the Cauveri, almost on a temple tour...visiting two ancient Parikara Sthalams at Tiruvedikkudi and Tirunaraiyur in Kumbakonam, the Brihadeeshwara, Kothandarama and Mariamman temples in Thanjavur, Uchi Pillaiyar and Thayumanaswamy temple, silence at the Mouna Swamigal Mandapam in the same hill, the Akhilandeshwari and Jambukeshwarar Temple and finally the Sri Ranganathar temple in Sri Rangam.
In a span of just one and a half days of walking the temples, my mind was filled with the divine images with all their beautiful alankarams. The moment I closed my eyes back home, all I could see in my mind's eye was the reclining, seated or formless presence of all the gods I saw...I felt like I was a member of such a big divine family.
Though the rock looks formidable to climb, the first few steps to the Thayumanaswamy temple were steep. But the two flights of rock stairs leading to Ganesha are simple yet simply superb. The fish eye lens view of the whole temple city of Tiruchi with towering vimanas on all sides, the beautiful Cauveri threading around on one side and the wisp of chill air streaming through the grills from behind the Ganesha's sannidhi where I sat in meditation...hmm...it was simply divine and beyond words. A great prasadam even before Ganesh Chaturti it was for me.

7 Comments:

Blogger kitchenette soul said...

Dear swahilya,
Great trip and lovely description. Reminded me of my visit to Trichi long ago

1:45 AM  
Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Hmm..and today I went to Pondicherry!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Mysorean said...

Dear Swahilyaji,

Reminded me of my stay at Trichy! Serene and happy! Today's life is so much more chaos!

Wonderful post! Happy belated Ganesh Chathurthi!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Thank you Adi. Tiruchi is one of my favourite places and I have lived there till my Class II!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Yes, I experience that delight when I simply walk up and down the temples with just joy and no rhyme nor reason!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Kavitha Kalyan said...

Hi Swahilya,

Lovely narrative, just one small error. Kailash of the south is Thiruvannamallai hill and not Trichi.

Rock Fort was a Chola strong hold which was built to safe guard all temple treasures from invasion.

Interestingly the steps of Rock Fort are designed to be a little higher than regular steps because they were built to help horses climb the fort. hence the abnormal height to the steps.

That was a little bit more on Rock Fort.

Regds
Kavitha.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Thank you Kavitha: Actually why I mentioned that it is called the Kailash of the south is because, in each place I see there is a claimant for that title! Velliangiri in Coimbatore, Tiruvannamalai and even on Rock Fort, there is a board that says 'Ten Kayilai' referring to Rock Fort! Thank You.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home