Sunday, April 09, 2006

Offerings to Lord Shiva.

The realm of Vishvakarma
revealed to man a world of secrecy
brought down in stone.
Sinking the energy into the rock
from a world deep within my being.

I step towards it
gate by gate
cross each entrance with a heavy heart,
there is devotion, ther is fear
to truely realize what lies within.

As I enter, He cuts out the light
Images smile down from the walls
the Lord appears in various forms
to guide me through the darkness.

A step at a time a coconut in hand
I carry myself, my being with flowers
I am an offering I make to the Lord
to be one with Him in complete conciousness

The air is still, there is not a soul
the lamp lights dont flicker the walls are bare,
the world is silent
and the sacred hymns reverberate

there is fragrance in the air
there is warmth in the room
the Lord resides silent and still
the flames reveal the formless in stone
drawing me closer to Himself

My body behind, my soul in hand
the priest raises me into the air
he pulls off my ego
my curtain of illusion
and in a rhythmic flow of prayer reveals
to my third eye
the energy deep within.

The air stirs in vigor
as I dash to the floor
my ignorance broken,
my being revealed
the juice of potent energy flows out
to merge with the Lord

I do not exist in my body
I left that far behind
there is no breath, there is no thirst
there is no hunger, I know not fear
the priest raises the fire

My path to heaven
The Lord awaits at the door
to hold my hand
and lead me into a constant world
of complete conciousness.

***************************************
P.S. An offering of coconut and flowers is always made to the Lord at the main shrine. This is a possible significance.

5 Comments:

Blogger Swahilya Shambhavi said...

A quiet confluence.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Kavitha Kalyan said...

The value of the offering of coconut has been of great interest to me, i have always wanted to give it a definition far more important than the mechanical act of "archanai".

This was one thought i had on why the coconut is so important as part of an offering.

The poem, to my surprize, described it beautifully. Couldn't believe i wrote it :)

10:10 PM  
Blogger kitchenette soul said...

Lovely kavita. This is the significance of the coconut. When you Love HIM so much He can't but help reveal!!!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Trespasser said...

Beautiful interpretation of the breaking of a coconut. a veil of illusion - very true.

8:47 AM  
Blogger  வல்லிசிம்ஹன் said...

What an original word! this is exactly whta all athe asthikas explain abt breaking the coconuts.It breaks yr ahamkaaram and makes it easier to approach God.Bless you.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home